College Board Members Welcome Nine New Trustees
NEW YORK, NY—Four new nominees to the 31-member governing board of the College Board were selected by the Committee on Nominations and voted on at the Annual Meeting of the Members on Friday, October 27, 2017, during the College Board Forum in New York, NY.
The College Board Trustees are responsible for assisting in legal and fiduciary decisions; approving the mission, strategic goals, and objectives of the organization; establishing policies; and advising those responsible for the management of the organization.
“The College Board has been implementing an ambitious strategic plan over the past two years. The Board of Trustees has tracked and guided progress toward organizational goals, and we’re impressed by the swift success we’ve seen so far,” said Douglas L. Christiansen, chair of the Board of Trustees and vice provost for university enrollment affairs, dean of admissions and financial aid, and associate professor for public policy and higher education at Vanderbilt University. “In the coming year, we’ll continue to drive innovation, equity, and excellence and support efforts that connect more students than ever to college success and opportunity.”
The Board of Trustees administers the not-for-profit organization with guidance from three national assemblies and six regional assemblies. Member institutions appoint a delegate to each of the three national assemblies—the Academic Assembly, the College Scholarship Service Assembly, and the Guidance and Admission Assembly. Each national assembly provides the College Board with guidance on the issues and College Board activities related to the professional areas represented.
The Trustee Committee on Nominations submitted a slate of four candidates, who were elected at the 2017 Annual Meeting. For the 2017–2021 term:
- Jennifer Hardy, Programming and Web Development Instructor in Charge, Worcester Technical High School, Worcester, Massachusetts
- Rafael Ramirez-Rivera, Chancellor, Interamerican University of Puerto Rico—Arecibo Campus, Arecibo, Puerto Rico
- Kasandra Urquidez Vice President, Enrollment Management & Student Affairs, Advancement and Dean, Undergraduate Admissions, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
For the 2017–2022 term:
- Eric Zarnikow, Executive Director, Illinois Student Assistance Commission, Springfield, Illinois
The Committee further notes the following incoming chairs of the National Assemblies, who will join the Board of Trustees for the 2017–2021 term:
- Hector Garcia, Superintendent, Plano 88, Plano, Illinois
- Darnell Heywood, Director of College Counseling, Columbus Academy, Gahanna, Ohio
- Gail Holt, Director of Financial Aid, Amherst College, Amherst, Massachusetts
The following candidates were elected by the regional assemblies to serve on the Board of Trustees from 2017 to 2021:
- Zina Evans, Vice President for Enrollment Management, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- Thomas Moore, Superintendent, West Hartford Public Schools, West Hartford, Connecticut